Wednesday, June 6, 2007

OUR PROJECT ON PETERSWELL

CAPPARD HOUSE

Cappard House was the ancestral home for generations of the Galbraith family who came to Ireland from Stirlingshire in Scotland in the seventeenth century with William III (otherwise known as William of Orange). They were granted lands in Cappard and the surrounding areas which was originally O’Fahy property and the estate comprised a total of 4,636 acres by 1878.
Cappard Demesne is the actual name of the townland and this is derived from the fact that the farm or parkland around the ‘Big House’ was called the demesne and farmed or used directly by the family in the house. The reasoning is that the views from all of the windows of the house would have a ‘vista’ or view unimpeded by tenants miserable holdings and dwellings or so that no unpleasantness like evictions would occur in the locality of the house.
The house is no longer exists but the Gate Lodge is still the home of John & Margaret Kelleher and their ancestors were gatekeepers to his estate. You will note that the gate lodge is on the opposite side of the road to the entrance and this was the case in the most impressive estates to show that they owned lands on both sides of the road.

5 comments:

Ann said...

Hi, I was very impressed with your history on Cappard house and the Kelleher's, it has helped me a lot with my own family history as my grandfather was Peter Kelleher. I recently visted the church not being aware at that time of the connections with my ancestors, while I was there my husband found behind the church the grave stone of Thomas Kelleher who died in March 1837, he must have been quite important in the area to have such a prominent gravestone, do you know why this is the case or who he was? I think your site is a delight to read and very informative, Keep it up! and if anyone knows the answer to Thomas Kelleher or any other kellehers I would be extremely grateful.
WELL DONE-----Ann Todd

Ann said...

Hi, I would like to say Well Done! to such a well written and informative narrative on Cappard and the information on the Kelleher's who would appear to have lived in the area for quite a while!My grandfather was Peter Kelleher who lived in Gort and it was only recently that I found out about the Kelleher's in Peterswell and Kilthomas.Does anyone have any information on Thomas Kelleher who died in March 1837 his graveyard is behind the church, he must have been an important person in the community as the only other people to be buried around the church are the parish priests! If you have any information as to whom I can contact in regard of the Kelleher's family history I would be very grateful, Please keep up he good work I have learnt a lot about Peterswell and it was a delight to read!
Ann

Valerie said...

Hi,
My mom is Margaret Kelleher from Cappard, Peterswell (one of many Margarets). She is one of seven children of Martin and Margaret Kelleher (nee Walsh) I just started doing family tree research myself, so I will be happy to share info I find. It's nice to know I have company out there doing the same research.

Ann said...

Hi Valerie nice to hear from you. I am glad that someone else is doing research on the Kelleher's, they have been quite elusive over the years, it is only since the records have gone on line that I have been able to get a lot of info. Here is my email address so we can email direct, if that is okay?
firecrackers@hotmail.co.uk
Cheers
Ann

Unknown said...

My Dad was born in nearby Gardenblake. Martin Kelleher was his godfather I believe. I knew Martin Kelleher in the 1970s and our families were old friends. Martin was a real character, very friendly and funny. I remember visiting their house (in Cappard) He showed me his son's US army uniform.